We mostly associate Adzuki beans with sweet red bean mochi or other desserts, but here they make a delicious stew with a nutty flavor that’s packed with protein. Quite simple to make as well.
- Soak 1 cup dried adzuki beans in 4 cups cold water for 5 hours or overnight; drain and reserve liquid.
- Coat large dutch oven with cooking spray, heat over medium heat.
- Add 2 bunches of green onions chopped (reserve some for garnish) , sprinkle with salt, cover and cook till soft, 5 minutes.
- Add 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and crumbled; add drained beans.
- Add enough water to reserved liquid to make 4 cups; stir into pot.
- Cover and bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes (add a little water if necessary in the process).
- Stir in 12 oz. red potatoes quartered; cover and cook 15 minutes more or until tender and beans are soft.
- Take 1 cup of broth from pot and mix with 2 tbs yellow or red miso; add to pot and simmer 2 more minutes till heated through.
- Garnish with reserved green onion.
6 servings. Weight Watchers PointsPlus value: 4
Original recipe from Vegetarian Times Everything Vegan.